Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ok, so I should have listened to my own advice!!

Stiefvater, Maggie. Shiver. New York: Scholastic, 2009.

Remember how I said that I'd sworn off young adult fantasy fiction (my genre of choice) because all the stories were the same? Why didn't I!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Shiver--the story of an awkward teenage with a limited social life and parents who need her to provide for them because they're selfish and weren't really ready to be parents yet. Sound like Twilight yet? Well, let me go on. He is a werewolf with yellowish eyes that had a green or brown tint depending on the page. Yep, they changed colors (not really--I think--just Stiefvater's descriptions changed). And was she obsessed with his eyes? She sure was! (Ok, there was kind of a reason for this--his eyes stayed the same whether he was man or beast.) Let's see...he was changed by a man he accepted as a father figure. He didn't want to be a monster so he was always pushing her...hmmm...bella?...no, that wasn't it...the girl...away. But she always pushed his self-control. Yep, he said that. It went something like this...

     "I think you are overestimating my self control, 'Bella.'"
     "I don't want self-control, 'Edward.' Let's have sex!"
     "But, you have your whole life ahead of you."
     "So do you! You're only eighteen."
     "At least I'm legal. I don't want you to do something that you will regret. I don't want to make you do something you'll regret."

What else? He was a musican who wrote song for and about her. He watched her sleep. He was well read. They drove around in a big truck which was perfect because it had a bench rather than bucket seats.


So if you like Twilight, Shiver is the book for you. Don't worry it is a trilogy. So you can get in on a lot more Twilighty goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment