Friday, January 13, 2012

There simply aren't enough Hamishes in the world!

Beaton, M. C. Death of a Gossip. New York : Ballantine Books, 1988.

So, I decided to give my regular genre a miss since I had been so thoroughly disenchanted with it--all books being Twilight only worst. Because of this I've been reading some mysteries, non-fiction, and biographies just to change pace. Death of a Gossip was the first book in the Hamish MacBeth series and there are more than 25 others. I didn't love it enough to read any more at this point, but hey it's out there if I change my mind. The book was written so that it was omnipresent--we kind of got narration for everyone which is not how I like my mysteries. I like to follow the story with the hero/mystery solver and no one else. And come on! his name was Hamish MacBeth and either one of those names would be awesome by itself. He was kind of the Clark Kent/Don Diego kind of hero. You know, "Don't mind me I'm just an average Joe. There's an emergency? Look in the other direction while I sweep in and save the day." Hamish is a "bumbling" country constable (I'm sure you guessed with a name like Hamish MacBeth, but it does take place in Scotland) who is secretly a hero that doesn't want anyone to blow his cover as lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment